Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Detailed Rear Camera Installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Default RE: Detailed Rear Camera Installation

I'd love to do this as well and for $50 it's a great mod.Could somebody post pics of how they wired into the reverse lights?

I do have some concerns tho.Will this void the warranty on the MMCS? The MMCS connector that is recommended to be cut...what does it do? If it's not needed, why is it on there?

Would you be able to buy a similar connector from your dealer that can be modified as detailed in the post?

If it's plug and play it may not void anything, but I'd have to believe that cutting the wires on a piece that's attached to the MMCS would void the warranty. And if i have any electrical or MMCS problems down the road I don't think i'm technical enough or computer savy enough to argue back at a dealer/service tech that what i installed didn't cause the issue. The wife will kill me if i mess up the car and have to pay for it out of pocket. Am i being too paranoid?

Old 04-28-2008, 11:10 AM

Hi Cuffy,

When I did mine, I share the same concerns aboutMMCS warranty.I am sure the warranty is void the second you cut and tapped into the MMCS.
I was thinking, Instead of cutting the wire right at the connector as per rdenis, what if I create a plug and play connectionfar away from the MMCS, and is hidden out of the way.Imade the connection and put a connector for the camera about 16" away, in that way, all the connections to the MMCS apperas to be in place, And if i have any MMCS problems down the road, I just unplug the camera. btw, I wired the connector so that the second I unplug, the enable line to the MMCS no longer grouded, therefore, MMCS don't even see the camera.
I also ran aconnection from the Camera to my aux input to cover all my bases in case the service guy wonder about why a camera in my wing.
You want to do the right thing when wiring up the camera, i.e, solder you connections, proper fuse for the camera, proper insulation etc.
p.s As per rdenis, the factory MMCS connector goes nowhere.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:48 PM

This mod will not void any warranty coverage unless you somehow f* it up and screw up your MMCS - then you are hooped. FWIW - I have had a dozen or so dealers contact me to do this exact same install on 07's and 08's.

One day the void warranty myth will die - maybe...

Old 04-28-2008, 10:45 PM

Hi Rdenis,

The Legend himself ! I owe you thanks to the install insight.
As to a dozen or so of dealers wanting to do what you've achieved, knowing how much the dealer charge for options, you might be on to something.
Thanks again for your write up.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:49 AM

rdenis I'm an outy turbo owner while installed the kenwood indash kvt 735 dvd (supports also rear camera - checked the price yday for $ 138 from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-08-KEN...QQcmdZViewItem).
I'm requesting yr advise whether the installation of the rear camera is feasible to my car as per yr initial message or not, in order to proceed accly.

Thanks and brgds

Old 04-29-2008, 06:03 AM

rdenis,
"Hooped" is my middle name, so my concern is definitely f*ing it up. Even with all the help you guys provide i'm still not that confident i won't mess something up. I'm nota tech-wiz and skipped shop class in high school so wiring and soldering stuff is not my forte. And don't get me started on computers...my brain will explode.

I still have a hard time believing a dealer would cover MMCS problems underwarranty after the owner modified it. I guess if you are technical enough and can out explain the service techs as to what happened...you may be covered. In my experience tho, if a dealer can save $2000 by relating the issues to what was done outside their service dept they will.

I may just bite the bullet and try to install it anyways. I just need to get up the nerve first.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:43 AM

Cuffy,
I must admit, sever the wires to the connector presented an apprehensive moment for me, the feeling of holy batman, point of no return.
After that, my concern was definitely don't f*ing it up, I was so paranoid that I disconnected the car battery, and I was wearingmy anti-static wrist strap the whole time when I was handling the MMCS.
Bottom line, it's worth it.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:25 AM

Some of rdenis' original write up appears to be missing, at least to me, as if it wre cut off just into part3--wiring it up--would anyone be able to repost this part? much thanks in advance!

Old 07-21-2008, 07:10 AM

Okay so go figure - have no idea what happened to the original post but apprently it is off in cyberspace somewhere now. In any event here are the remaining pics which were cutoff. I dont have the original narrative so once the board gets fixed I'll fix the first post. Frustrating!!

Electrical Connections:

Name:  17Rearofradio.jpg
Views: 2580
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  17VideoHarnessRadioSide.jpg
Views: 1717
Size:  68.9 KB

Name:  18VideoHarnesscomplete.jpg
Views: 1668
Size:  58.9 KB

Name:  23Mainharnesswitquickconnects.jpg
Views: 1629