Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Power antenna motor removal (not just mast) on a 2001-2006 Montero (not sport)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Question Power antenna motor removal (not just mast) on a 2001-2006 Montero (not sport)

Anybody know or have experience removing the ENTIRE power antenna motor on the 01-06 Montero (NOT SPORT)?

Does the fender have to be removed, or is it removed from the inside area?

Old 09-01-2009, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by redturboeclipse
Anybody know or have experience removing the ENTIRE power antenna motor on the 01-06 Montero (NOT SPORT)?

Does the fender have to be removed, or is it removed from the inside area?
Just done mine about 5mths ago! Front wheel off then take the inner plastic wheel well off!Unit is bolted to frame work! You might have to work it a little bit if it's a universal model ,remember to test it before you put it all back!Hope this is some help!
Bazman

Old 09-01-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bazman
Just done mine about 5mths ago! Front wheel off then take the inner plastic wheel well off!Unit is bolted to frame work! You might have to work it a little bit if it's a universal model ,remember to test it before you put it all back!Hope this is some help!
Bazman
Thanks Bazman, that really sucks if thats what has to be done.

Was it difficult to remove the inner plastic?

Old 09-02-2009, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by redturboeclipse
Thanks Bazman, that really sucks if thats what has to be done.

Was it difficult to remove the inner plastic?
No! a few bolts and some plastic fastners and you don't have to remove the whole linner just bend it back to access the motor.Remember don't get frustrated take your time,read the instructions and match up the wiring!
Bazman

Old 10-26-2009, 10:41 PM

I just went and did this.

The plastic fasteners are plenty but easy, you just pop them out. They do not easily break so don't worry about that.

Then the few 10mm bolts.

You DONT have to remove the wheel, but it gives you the best access if you do.

If you don't want to remove the wheel just turn the steering wheel all the way to the right. That should give you enough access to where you have to work.

After you pull the plastic out

there are 2 10mm nuts holding the entire power antenna assembly down there

also you won't be able to remove the unit until you remove the power harness clip. the unit is protected from weather by some shroud, just pull it up until you can access the harness.

Now the unit should come loose, IF you already did the obvious and remove the locking ring on the ouside of the car on the fender.

This could be a little tricky, you just use a flathead and put it in the notche and turn COUNTERCLOCK wise. It will eventually come off and then should be free to drop down.

Now this is where it becomes a bit of a situation.

You CANNOT really EASILY REMOVE the entire assembly because the antenna wire that connects to the stereo runs through the car and you cannot just tug on it.

You have 2 options.

1) CUT IT, there easy out, but then youll have to solder/crimp your new one

2) carefully take a lot of time to find out where it routes in the inside of the car to remove it. Then route the new one when you get it.

People have said you can just turn on the radio and keep pulling the antenna until the mast comes out. This was not the case, at least with mine, so might be the same with the MONTERO, NOT THE MONTERO SPORT

I kept on tugging and tuggin and it wold not come out, its locked somewhere in the mast assembly.

If there is a step to just remove the mast then there wont be any need to cut the wires as its an easy replacement.

Also, if the motor is fine and its just the mast, chances are, a PIECE of the mast BROKE OFF INSIDE THE POWER ANTENNA ASSEMBLY. And when you put a new one, that broken piece might interfere.

So what I did, I just opened the power antenna assembly, and as I suspected, about 4" of the mast broke off in there, and that is why it was not coming down unless you gave it a push.

But again I could not just pull the mast out, even when I removed the mast assembly (you can remove it from the actual power antenna assembly after removing the 1 philips screw and pulling on it) there was no way to pull it out within the mast housing. There is something inside preventing it from coming out.

So even if I just got the mast, how could I replace it?

I have a universal power antenna, I decided not to put it though. I wold need to build some custom mounts down there. Maybe in the future.

So what did I do?

I just put the antenna up, then turned off the radio and let the antenna come down about half, removed the power harness so now its just a regular antenna. It doesn't look as bad as when the antenna was fully extended at all times.